Monday, July 21, 2008

coming back around

around two years ago, i got a phone call from my buddy farns, who had worked with me a couple of times on the road. he told me that he had dropped my name for a gig and then told me he'd kick my butt if i said no. a few minutes later i got a call asking me to run sound for jaci velasquez at a festival in florida. i hesitantly agreed to do the gig... hesitantly because the only sound stuff i'd done was studio work and a couple of gigs with friend's bands at bars. i had never worked on a digital console, never run sound at a festival, and certainly never for a grammy-winning, platinum-selling artist.

-- a quick interjection to this blog --
when i got to the festival, the farns was there. he was running sound for anther band, and could have very easily run sound for jaci also. instead, he passed the job on to me so that he could help me get my foot in the door of live sound while he was around to be sure that i didn't fail terribly. farns = good people, and a great asset to the touring community.
-- interjection finished --

well i did the festival, more nervous that i'd ever been behind a console, but made it through the show and even had some random guy come and tell me that i did a much better job than the guy who had been there the night before. after that experience, i wasn't afraid to run sound for anyone on any console.

fast forward to about two weeks ago. i got a text from my friend brian. he told me that he'd dropped my name for a couple of gigs. a few minutes later i get a call asking if i can run sound for a couple of shows for jaci velasquez. unfortunately i was only available for one, but had a great time and hope it's not two years before i work with jaci and her band again.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Spread the love if you so desire. You know my passion so help a brother out. If need be Nickie could do BGV. Two for the price of one and a half.


Glad all is well